WB O2 Output Board Comments

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Sun Aug 19 05:22:27 GMT 2001

Tim Burgess,

I believe your purpose here is to use the Narrow
Band (NB) signal when running closed loop, and
making the Wide Band (WB) information available
in open loop modes, so a single ecm input can
support both closed loop and WB logging at an
output channel.  I need to be convinced this the
best approach for several reasons.

The big problem will be deciding when to switch
the MUX.  Only the ecm knows for sure exactly
when it is running closed loop, will it provide a
signal, and what are the specifics of that signal?

Next problem is, how does the log record know
when the switch has occured.  Will it have another
input to check the MUX control?

My prefered method would be to leave a NB signal
connected all the time, whether it be a NB sensor
or a processed WB signal.  Feed the (suitably
scaled) WB signal into another analog channel to
allow logging, or for some just go straight into the
logging device.  Experimenters could still cook up
special versions for themselves.  To get the output
board done promptly for general use, it should
try to provide items with proven designs or very short
development time.  But if you have a debugged
design ready to go, it could be a go.

Does this message need to be forwarded to get to
Tim Burgess?

Bruce Roe, EE trying to understand engine tuning