Conformal Coating Problems for ECMs

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Mon Aug 20 01:32:04 GMT 2001

Looking at an Isuzu site a while ago, I came across a reference
to GM using a conformal coating (the clear semi-sticky stuff
covering the PCB and components). It suggested that the coating
GM used on board circa 1987-89 could cause, under certain conditions,
some of the components to lift off the board. And this is why the
boards of this era may be less reliable than otherwise may be the
case. I have personal experience of having to replace a 1227808
and I know many others have done likewise.

So, is the conformal coating suggestion a reality? I would not
expect GM to be agreeing with anything that would require a
recall or suggests that they should have replace something badly
manufactured, so it's going to be difficult to get to the truth
of the matter.

Peter.