Comms problems

Scott Pearson mrcad472 at bigplanet.com
Wed Aug 22 21:03:10 GMT 2001

Having some communications problems with the ECM swap on the 88 Toronado.
The BCM is set up to communicate with the original 1228253 and it won't
communicate with the 16141470. When I hook up the scan tool (OTC Genisys) it
will communicate as a 92 SC 3800 VIN 1, but if I try to read it as an 88
3800SFI VIN 3 it doesn't (no surprise). What does a scan tool look for or do
to initiate communications with an ECM? I'm hoping that this might give me a
lead as to what I've got to change in the BCM to make them talk. Has anyone
ever played with ECM swaps on a BCM equipped car? Or am I better off
figuring out a way to get a supercharged engine to work on the 8253?

Scott

If you get this twice, I tried to send it from work last night, but it kept
rejecting it.