why humid is better!

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Thu Aug 23 00:34:03 GMT 2001

At 6:33 PM 8/22/01, Roger Heflin wrote:
>Greg Hermann wrote:
>>
>> >one mole of H2O takes up 22.7 Liters of volume, and one mole of the same
>> >H20 broken into H2 and O takes up 45.4 liters of volume,
>> >
>> >                               Roger
>>
>> At what temp and pressure?????
>>
>> These numbers look rather bogus!
>>
>> A gram molecular weight (mole) of H2O weighs about 18 frams, and should
>> therefore occupy about 18 ML --NOT-- 22.7 liters--- of volume at any where
>> CLOSE to standard conditions!
>>
>> Let's try to get our facts straight before we type!!
>>
>> Greg
>
>I mean as a vapor in the motor.  If you have water vapor and you somehow
>split it into separate H2 and O2 (both gases) they will want to occupy
>more space, this is assuming both are gas states (water vapor and water
>split into its components).   The discussion was about what the water
>vapor in the air does when it gets into the motor, it is already vapor when
>we start.
>
>				Roger

OK--but the numbers still are not correct.

2 moles of water would split into 2 moles of H2 and  1 mole of O2--giving a
total of three moles.

At similar conditions (temp and volume) going from 2 moles of gas to three
would increase the pressure by 50%. At similar conditions (temp and
pressure) going from 2 moles to 3 would increase the volume by 50%.
Not a doubling in either case.

Greg