Saturn will roll out continuously variable transmission (CVT)

Adam Chant adam at antelecom.net
Fri Aug 24 05:02:34 GMT 2001

Since I'm a Saturn freak I might at well chime in here.
For a short time I worked for a Honda Dealership and sold the HX like mad. I
was the only person there that took the time to find out about it so that I
would know what I was talking about. A little internet search revealed the
design details and Honda was good enough to send out some materials for me
to read.

I have been looking forward to this CVT GM's offering for a long time. It
was first rumored to be in the L series and has now found it's way to the
VUE. According to the details from GM to the Saturn Retailers the CVT is
going to be mated to the L61 engine, GM's new Global 4 found in the Vectura,
Saturn L and basically replacing the Quad4 here in the US. For 2002 GM also
sticks it in the Grand Am, Sunfire/Caviler, and Malibu too, I think. The
thing is that CVT's have always been mated to a very low TQ rated engine,
like the Honda Civic HX, but the L61 is the exact opposite of that. It makes
90% of its torque at 1900 RPM's and peaks at 145ftlbs @ 4500RPM's. I know
145 hardly qualifies as torque, but it's almost 2 times what the HX made so
GM must have figured something out.  I understand that the design of the
metal/rubber band found inside of the CVT is a major key to making it all
work. The Lead tech at my local Saturn Retailer is going to CVT training
this month and he'll be coming back with the FSM on it. I'll be flipping
through that book as soon as I can.
In general, I'll bet that GM's quiet about how the CVT works for a while.
They were like that with the L61 and it's got to be the best 4 cylinder
engine available on an American car today. Damn things been out since late
1999 and no one knows squat about it. Oh, but that's another topic.

-Adam

"I don't know what I said, but I said somethin." -The Wedding Singer