How different is this?

Adam Chant adam at mysaturn.com
Fri Aug 24 04:29:22 GMT 2001

Yes, my SC2 is a DOHC engine. The rings went with no supercharger boosting. While
I'm trying to hack the PCM to properly accept the S/C I have a bypass belt on
it. The rings let go because I knocked off the FPR vacuum line and drove the
car like that for about a week, thinking it was just knocking from all the carbon
build up in the engine. I have plans to rebuild the engine within this month
so I really didn't care what was happening. I may have cracked a ring when I
was playing with the S/C last week, but I did compression and leak down tests
afterwords and everything seemed fine. (200 PSI all 4 cylinders and spec is
=>190) That's not bad for an engine that has 180K on it, but I know it's all
from the excessive build up.
I'm building up this S/C project for a possible bolt-on kit and suggesting that
the purchaser of the kit modify the internals of the engine before installing
it would be asking a lot. Saturn owners are cheep bastards in general and don't
like spending lots of $$ for performance. Of the 2 million Saturns registered
only a dozen are even boosting and of that 12 only ~4 of them even work. In
fact there are more compnaies that want to say they make Saturn Turbo Kits than
there are Turbo Saturns on the road. Go figure.

No holds barred - I would deffinatly use SOHC pistons (9.3:1) or even go with
9.0:1 JE forged pistons and Eagle/Crowler rods.

Basically the ENTIRE serious performance scene for Saturn weighs on the fact
that no one has yet to crack the PCM. Once that is done the potential for first
Gen Saturn's will be unlimited. That's 1,000,000 registered vehicles being handed
down to young drivers looking for a way to increase the performance of mom's
grocrie getter.

Basically, as soon as we can get larger injectors IPW short enough for the car
to still idle most of the low pressure turbo kits will finally work.
I guess I'll see what happens soon..
-adam