Turbo V8

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sun Aug 26 23:49:14 GMT 2001

J812MANY at aol.com wrote:

> That thing should FLY!
Could you turn off the HTML and post in plain text?

> I'd run a Chevy ECM, but all the SFI motors (LT1, LS1) use a 359 tooth crank
> trigger in the opti-spark and there's no way to set it up on a First Gen
> engine (I happen to have an old 327 collecting dust in my garage).

You need to have SFI to do this?

> Bigger injectors, a 2 bar MAP, and reprogram the spark/fuel tables and you're
> good to go. That is, until you max out the MAF ;)
Yup, it's nice to get actual airflow readings for all the air ingested.  But
systems do work without.

> With the ford system you can change the MAF sample tube and tweak the PROM to
> overcome that.

Is that a chip change?

> Or, you could run a '93-'94 (I think) Speed Density LT1 ECM and harness and
> you won't have to worry about the MAF.
92-93 Y body.

> MAF systems can handle mods a little better, but once you hit a point with
> the airflow it freaks out.

Very generalized statement, and not really true.  Simple cam/intake/TB/injector
change can throw a MAF calibration out the window.  Total hp the same, total max
air ingested the same, but different torque peak and airflow characteristics
make for different fuel/spark requirements.

> SD systems won't compensate for mods (you have to burn new chips for each
> major change).

No different from MAF, in my experience.  Also plenty of ways to fool sd to work
without chip changes, just like plenty of ways to fool MAF.  Look at the types
tricks in the DIY archives, before programming 101 got going.

Shannen