cheap obd2 scanner

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Thu Aug 30 20:42:25 GMT 2001

Mike Turner/ENGR/HQ/KEMET/US wrote:

> On the pic chip route, I've started working on a firewire (ieee1394)
> attached version.

Mike, I think for OBD-II's (up to) 40 kbit/sec data stream, FireWire is
like watering the petunias with a firehose.

Given that PC-RS232 can tolerate 115 kbit/sec no problem, and driver
chips can be fashioned from transistors, then this seems like a better
match for a DIY cost sensitive device. Certainly the 8 pin PIC chips
are very cheap in their unprogrammed state (< US$5 ?)

Alex Peper, who contributes occasionally to this list, actually has
a commercial PIC chip product that already does what you want, and he
sells just the chip for US$22 each for QTY 25 orders:

  http://www.obd-2.com/chip.htm

Peter

Disclaimer - I have no affixation with Alex Peper