cheap obd2 scanner

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Fri Aug 31 06:44:46 GMT 2001

Peter Gargano wrote:

> Mike, I think for OBD-II's (up to) 40 kbit/sec data stream, FireWire is
> like watering the petunias with a firehose.
>
> Given that PC-RS232 can tolerate 115 kbit/sec no problem, and driver
> chips can be fashioned from transistors, then this seems like a better
> match for a DIY cost sensitive device.

The problem with an RS232 interface is that UART serial ports are now
obsolete, along with parallel ports, external SCSI ports, cassette tape
interfaces, and so on.  Lots of new computers are being built with no
legacy ports.  That means that interface boxes will soon need to speak
USB, FireWire, Ethernet and so on.