[OT] Synthetic Tranny Fluid

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Aug 30 23:20:39 GMT 2001

Ludis Langens wrote:

> I put some Redline MTL in a manual transmission a few months ago.  It
> makes the syncros grab so fast I now get a driveline clunk occasionally.

If the trans has paper lined synchros, the redline fluid could be lacking the
friction modifiers found in some special mtf's and in atf.  Part of the reason
special lubricants are required for some transmissions is to prevent the paper
linings from being damaged.  Putting traditional gear oil in a trans with paper
lined synchros can ruin the paper lining in short order.  I do not know what
will happen with a product such as redline synthetic fluid.

> airflow on the
> clutch must be enough to spin up the auxilary shaft.

Friction between the pilot bearing and trans input shaft is more likely.  Time
for synthetic pilot bearing lube?

Shannen