Need recommendations on tools.

Scott Peitzsch jlg-sep at mediaone.net
Thu Jan 4 13:24:08 GMT 2001

> I've got an Astro inline drill which is really a die grinder with a
> 1/4" chuck, bought from J.C. Whitney.  It uses a ton of air, and with
> a cutoff wheel it's a dangerous tool.  But it's also very effective
> and it's been used hard throughout the last 5 years.  I have an
> Ingersol 90 degree die grinder sold through Sears, which has probably
> got 500+ hours on it.  I used this tool along with 3 1/2" plastic
> bristle wheels (usually used to remove gaskets) to strip the baked
> lacquer coated panels of my 57 Chevy pickup.  Definitely a good and
> reliable item, no rebuild needed yet.

Haven't checked out Whitney yet - I'll have to see what they've got
tonight.

> Cheap air ratchets are a waste of money.  If you're gonna get one,
> don't mess around.  I feel the same way about impacts and air hammers.
> 'Course I use mine daily.  I have been able to "beat the system" by
> buying used, run down Snap-on air tools and having Snap-on rebuild
> them.

My brother - a fulltime Ford mechanic - bought me the ratchet, two guns
and most of the accessories.  Its a mix of Snap-on and Ingersol Rand
stuff.  His warning was pretty much the same in this regard.

> BTW, air tools _like_ to be oiled and lubricated regularly.

Already got the inline oiler plumbed and ready to go!<g>

Gotta get that grinder and bits soon so I can start on the LT1 intake
project!

-Scott