VE and BLM cell edges

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 02:31:45 GMT 2001

I don't think that I am following completely.  Pardon the ignorance &
indulge me for a minute.  this Util allows me to enter in the BLM value as
I record them (diacom, data master etc) when i am running the car.  the
Util will now say, if you are here (X) & you want to be here (128) then you
need to change the VE table by this (Y).  This makes sense to me & follows
what Dan said two emails ago.

I think that the other thing you are saying (& here is where i am lost) is
about the Cell edge values.  what I am reading here is that if the X axis
of the line is 600 rpm, then the question is that line from 600 rpm to 699
or is it from 501 to 600?.?.?.?.?  am I following or am i totally out to
lunch?  & I am not following the last paragraph about the KPA @ all (brain
dead).

also I think that you are saying that you deciphered this information from
the ANHT hac (that i have not gotten to yet).

If i am tracking right this sounds to me like a huge step towards science &
less of the "This feels like a touch here & a scosh there & a tad over @
this part".

thanks
BW

VE
> > along with the cam netted some 4-5ms pulsewidths at idle, which had me
> > changing fuel soaked plugs every week and not odriving the car for fear
of
> > washing out rings and ther nasty things. After reading Bruce's tuning
tips
> > and prog101, I tried the old take %error in BLM and multiply VE and that
> > made everything much worse (~6-7ms PW) so I went the other way with VE.
> > >
> > > My stock programming at 40-50KPA and 750 or so rpm had the ECM looking
> at
> > VEs in the mid-high 60%, so I cut that back little by little and the
idle
> > PWs have come down to 2.0-2.4ms. I'm kinda at a loss, because this is
> > obviously the opposite of what the ECM seems to want, but the engine is
> much
> > happier. People (tuners) I have talked to with bigger cams and such have
> > mentioned that at low rpm (idle) larger cams with lots of overlap are
less
> > efficient and therefore require less fuel or VE in the table. Looking at
> > Bruce's VE table for the crossfire stuff I'm thinking I'm on the right
> > track, I tried building a table closer to his and the car wouldn't idle.
> So
> > I think I've found the two extremes and just need more iterations to get
> it
> > right. As it is I haven't touched the upper VE table so the car
hesitates
> as
> > it crosses the magical 1600rpm limit into the other VE table and PWs
jump
> up
> > about 1.5ms or so.
> > >
> > > Does this logic sound completely screwy or does it seem like I'm doing
> > alright here?
> > >
> > > Drew (waiting for the king sized CSH)
> > > '89 IROC

> > > Drew,
> > >
> > > You mentioned trying to lean the VE table down, maybe a typo, but high
> > BLMs
> > > would be adding fuel. A 40-45 Kpa idle sounds good, about 16" vac.
With

majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org

--- Bob Wooten
--- r71chevy at earthlink.net