TBI Memcal

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Wed Jan 17 09:45:51 GMT 2001

WEG1192 at aol.com wrote:

> However, will
> this trick work on TBI Memcals as well? I have a 1995 TBI 16197427 ECM with a
> Memcal from a 4.3L. Is it necessary to ground pin 56 or any other pin on
> these as well?

When running in TBI mode, the hardware doesn't need to know the number
of cylinders - but it does need to be set to TBI mode.  Pin 56 does
that.  It has four possible values: 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, and TBI.

Once the hardware is set to TBI mode, you still have to make sure the
software is told the number of cylinders (possibly through an EPROM location).