Speed sensor for 1995 TBI

Chipsbyal at aol.com Chipsbyal at aol.com
Thu Jan 18 22:15:18 GMT 2001

The late(90 and up) TPI systems don't use a 4KPM(4000 pulse per mile) signal
for the VSS. The VSS signal goes directly to the ECM which then buffers the
signal itself and then sends out the conditioned 4KPM to the cruise and
cluster. These are the speed density systems. If you're using this setup, get
a converter from www.JTR.com to change from 4KPM to the ac output the ecm is
looking for. They run about $45.
The 7427 PCM uses the two VSS signals from the DRAC, one for the speedo input
the other is for trans shift points. Go figure, they both come from the same
sensor. In 4WD applications there is only one VSS signal and it comes from
the transfer case.
  This PCM that is in the C1500 always had an electric trans if it had a V-8.
The manual trans models had a different ECM. It used the 2732c eprom. The
software from these ecms are very different. Possibly you could use the V-8
eprom with all the trans DTC's disabled. I need to run an engine similar to
this on an engine dyno, so I'm already looking into this situation.
AL

www.ChipsByAl.com