VSS

Jeff Flanary jefff at mounet.com
Fri Jan 19 01:50:52 GMT 2001

Hello all, I hope someone can help me out.  I have an 87 S10 Blazer with a
TBI 305 running a 1227747 ecm.  I recently got an overhead console out of a
98 Blazer which has the outside temp. and compass.  The sensor for the
outside temperature is located in the grill.  The overhead console has a
Vehicle Speed input from the ECM.  This is so it updates the temperature
under certain conditions after the vehicle is moving so the engine heat is
not a factor.  I am wondering what the ECM output from the 98 Blazer ECM is
(pulses per mile & voltage).  I am hoping to use the cruise control output
from the stock Vehicle Speed Sensor buffer on my S10 that uses the VSS in
the speedometer, as i have removed the cruise control.  The 747 ecm says
that the VSS input ranges from 0.6 V to near battery voltage depending on
vehicle speed.  Will the signal from either my cruise control wire, or the
wire going to the 747 ecm VSS input be close enough to work.  I realize the
pulses per mile might make it slower to update if they are less than the 98
Blazer ecm, but what i am worried about is the voltage of the pulses as i do
not want to fry the module in my console.  Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry this email is so long.  Jeff