Suggestions

John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM
Thu Jan 25 19:22:10 GMT 2001

Speed density will work, but you are limited in your resolution on your
fuel map due to the low vacuum level at idle (highest non-decel vac.).  I
am currently using the ACCEL system, and having a blast.  BTW:  check out
the FEB '01 Mopar Action.  There is an article by yours truly on custom efi
install on a 67 Dodge coronet.  I am running a 383 mopar with 300+ horse
and an "old style"  cam, meaning considerable overlap but 112 LSA.  The key
here is to choose a fast ramp, high LSA cam, like comp's Xtreme energy cam.
The wide LSA minimizes overlap, increasing your idle vacuum, and coupled
with a higher ratio rocker makes all the power you need.  I am currently
building a new motor and the cam I chose was duration: 230 I, 238 E @.050",
about .550"I, .570"E lift with a 1.6:1 ratio rocker, with a custom 114 LSA.
I will be running speed density, and should not have a problem.  Most cam
companies will grind whatever LSA you choose.

John L. Calabrese
Research Engineer
Environmental Technologies Group
Engelhard Corporation

                    William
                    McNett               To:     GMECM <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
                    <mcnett at mail.        cc:
                    cass.net>            Subject:     Suggestions
                    Sent by:
                    owner-gmecm at d
                    iy-efi.org

                    01/25/01
                    12:48 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    gmecm

I know this is a ECM list, but.
Does anyone have any suggestions on an programmable EFI system for a 383
making a little over 400 hp?
Drivability is a big plus.
I'd also like to have the ability to monitor what's happening.
One guy told me that a speed density sys. would not work with my cam.

I can get a stock 86-88 TPI sys. off a Vette for $850.

Thanks,
Bill

 http://www.cass.net/~mcnett/william/my383.html
Cam Specs:
COMP CAMS 12-242-2
Advertised duration: 268 intake / 280 exhaust
Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 224 intake / 230 exhaust
Gross valve lift: .477 in. intake / .480 in. exhaust
w/ 1.6 rockers: .509 in. intake /  .512 in. exhaust
Lobe separation: 110 degrees
Intake centerline: 106 degrees
RPM range: 1,600 to 5,800