Crooked Dealer?

Shannen Durphey Shannen at grolen.com
Thu Jan 25 23:21:49 GMT 2001

Jeremy Gonyou wrote:

> Short:
> Can anyone tell me if a DIS will fire if the ECM doesn't have power?

Yep.  DIS is independent.

> Long:
> Someone tried to steal my car.  The dealer is putting a column in, but it
> won't start.  I can't get codes and I don't hear the fuel pump kick on.  I
> say the ECM doesn't have power.  Dealer says that the fuel pump is bad.  The
> car will start with carb cleaner.  The anwser to the question above will
> help me determine if this guy is trying to screw me for $600 worth of fuel
> pump.
Does the check engine light illuminate?  Any flash codes when jumpering
a-b in the aldl?  If you locate the fuel pump test lead (usually a red but
sometimes grey wire on the driver's side of the engine compt) and jumper
to power, does the fuel pump run?  If you can't locate the test lead, try
jumpering the relay.  $600 is a bunch for the pump if it's a Cavvy.  If
you look up a pump for the Chevy, they try to sell you a complete sender.
If you look up a pump for a Sunbird, you can usually get just the pump.
Shannen