Suggestions

John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM
Thu Jan 25 23:47:12 GMT 2001

From: <John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM>
> Speed density will work, but you are limited in your resolution on your
> fuel map due to the low vacuum level at idle (highest non-decel vac.).

??.
I guess, a carb wouldn't work at all then since it's entirely mechanical.

====you know what I mean, and carbs have nothing to do with this.  Carbs
have BOOSTERS in them for this purpose.  remember (lopey cam- low #power
valve all that stuff)??=======

> am currently using the ACCEL system, and having a blast.

I've run a few different gm ecms, and have a blast for a heck of alot less
money then any aftermarket one costs.    Swing by and I'll show ya how good
a stock ecm can handle some HP.
BTW, using a 747 with a Comp Cams 270 was easy.  Used a cross fire base
(with modes), and ran mid 13s.   As a granny go to store car (ie cheap
tires, full exhuast, sway bars attached, no power braking etc).

======Sure you run modified ECMS for cheaper, but then spent 10x as long
LEARNING how to calibrate them, hex editors, prom burners,spare chips.
Forget it. The $800. was worth it for me. and might also be for someone
else.  I was never interested in the programming aspect, I wanted to make
hp, driveability, etc.  I'm on this list because I still do calibrations,
but through a different user interface.  ==========

  BTW:  check out
> the FEB '01 Mopar Action.  There is an article by yours truly on custom
efi
> install on a 67 Dodge coronet.  I am running a 383 mopar with 300+ horse
> and an "old style"  cam, meaning considerable overlap but 112 LSA.  The
key
> here is to choose a fast ramp, high LSA cam, like comp's Xtreme energy
cam.
> The wide LSA minimizes overlap, increasing your idle vacuum, and coupled
> with a higher ratio rocker makes all the power you need.  I am currently
> building a new motor and the cam I chose was duration: 230 I, 238 E
@.050",
> about .550"I, .570"E lift with a 1.6:1 ratio rocker, with a custom 114
LSA.
> I will be running speed density, and should not have a problem.  Most cam
> companies will grind whatever LSA you choose.

Just use a Boost Controller.
No need for all that other silliness, LOL
Bruce