VSS operation

washburn lpwcruzr at sysmatrix.net
Sat Jan 27 02:27:11 GMT 2001

For some reason not many of my post seem to go through to this list. I sent
this one about 8 hours ago the first time.

I have a question for those in the know. This relates to doing some GM
engine swaps into other vehicles. Let's use a 94 truck TBI 350  as an
example. For this swap we'll say that I am not going to use the 4L60E tranny
or connect the cruise control. I have read that the pcm uses the VSS to
control things like EGR, idle when vehicle is moving without throttle being
applied and evap canister purge. In my manual from Helm I can find no
reference to the VSS in anything other than tranny controls, speedometer, or
cruise control. So just what does the pcm really use the VSS for, anything
other than tranny, and cruise or not? Is it different for a speed density or
MAF TPI application or a newer Vortec?

Thanks
Paul Washburn
lpwcruzr at sysmatrix.net