VN V6 3 coil ignition

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Sat Jan 27 08:26:27 GMT 2001

Wes Branchflower wrote:

> It shouldn't make a differance should it? Their are still 6 equally spaced
> ignition event's divided over 720 deg, so a spark is sent every 120deg on
> the V6, as well as on a S6.

Yes, ever 120 deg. for the VN, VP, VR, etc. (Buick 3800) V6...

If you look at the x3 vanes on the Hall interrupter, they each have
edges (leading or trailing, don't remember, probably trailing) that are
120 degrees from one another. The width of these three vanes is different
and there are different numbers of x18 edges between the leading and
trailing x3 edges for each vane. This is how the DIS (or DFI) module
determines which of the 3 coil pairs to fire. The logic counts the x18
pulses ... count = N-1 --> coil_1,  N --> coil_2,  N+1 --> coil_3.

Ross Myers wrote:

> Not picking bones Peter, but, the DFI is the unit with the 3 coils moulded
> together, the DIS is the later 3 individual coil version. Yeah, I know most
> people just call the DIS a DFI, but that's like saying the Holden 5.7L is
> just like the GenIII!!.

I can't afford the odd $600 that GM or REPCO want across the counter for
a new part, so I go to the wreckers - for $50 they can call it want they
want for all I care  ;-)    (although that was the discount price because
one of the coils had a broken plastic cover). BTW, Repco had/have a dealer
special on the individual coils this month for $30 each (apparently!)

PG.