Just a thought I re-kindled..

ae2598 at wayne.edu ae2598 at wayne.edu
Sun Jan 28 04:09:22 GMT 2001

Anyone familiar with the Cosworth Vega?  I used to have one, had to sell
it about 3 years ago.  Back before this list, probably before any good
information on using the GM ECMs for non-stock apps was on the net, I
envisioned that motor as being the perfect candidate for a MODERN EFI
setup.  It should be easy, as you already have the mechanical stuff in
place, all you'd have to do is adapt modern sensors to the old platform.
even DIS shouldn't be too hard, as the stock distributor is not needed for
anything like on the SBC platform.. It is an easily removed, belt-driven
"pod" that bolts onto the front of the head.

The problem with the stock setup is the archaic analog ECM.  It might've
been the logical thing to do in the early '70s, but it sure wasn't as
forward-thinking as the design of the motor itself.  It is only capable of
open-loop operation, and of course any sort of data logging is impossible.

Anyway, like I said, just a thought.. Any comments would be welcomed.