GM Fuel Pump control scheme

Wes Branchflower hemi_265 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 28 12:54:45 GMT 2001

>Uh-oh.  You've got an orange and you're trying to tell me my apple's not
>the same color.

he USED to have the car.. he sold it for a good price and bought a TD
Gemini!! :) He finds it a lot more 'fun'.

>What modification?  Removing the oil pressure switch?
>Shannen

No, making some sort of circuit to disable the ECM's relay control when the
car is running. That way the only thing keeping the fuel pump going is the
oil pressure switch (held closed by the running engines' oil pump)
If the oil pump failed, there would be no more pressure to hold the oil
switch closed, and the engine would stop. (saving it from running w/o oil)
Thinking about this it'd probably be easier to just wire up the ignition to
the oil switch somehow. A simple circuit to override the oil switch to get
the ignition going while cranking, then off when the engine starts. This
might work better so the engine doesn't run that extra litte while off
pressure in the rail.

You might think 'why bother' but with a soon to be $3000 built race engine,
which is known for oil pump problems, I will :)