Plena volume

Dig turbodig at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 02:40:05 GMT 2001

--------------------------
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:32:40 -0500
From: mike turner <miketurner at ieee.org>

This sounds like the ideal plenum may be, uh, a really
big box hooked
to short runners for high rpm. Or have I totally
missed the point.
Which
brings up runner size. My guess is that runners be
more than the volume
of a cylinder
to have enough to fill the cylinder. More volume would
be bad since the
air column
would have to rebound like a spring when the valve
closes. Am I close?
---------------------------------------

I'll add to this question (give Bruce something to do
while the Medicos do their thing :)....

How's about this for a plenum- no runners at all.
IE, the Manifold is just a box that sits on the heads,
the only "runners" per se are the intake ports. Port
injected, not TBI. Injectors shooting right into the
heads, at the back of the valve.

I'm guessing this would cause lower port velocities,
possibility for "dead air" in spots. Or No? And would
you care about the low port velocities? Especially if,
say, you were building a 4000 RPM + forced induction
v6? :) A plenum like this would maximize flow...

Tuning effects (from reversion in the runners) would
be gone, obviously. I suppose the intake ports would
find resonance at *some* RPM.

This would certainly make for easier packaging of a
1:1 or larger sized plenum.

Later,
Dig
turbodig at yahoo.com