cleaning an intake

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Tue Jul 10 08:07:13 GMT 2001

bcroe at juno.com wrote:

> I would like to know what it takes just the same.  I am
> really fed up with buying expensive stuff that won't
> clean anything.  I end up using gasoline and a tooth
> brush, which is plenty hazardous.  Bruce Roe

A old fashioned hot tank is probably using caustic soda, aka lye, aka
NaOH.  Drano (the solid kind) is mostly NaOH.  Note that aluminum, zinc,
pot metal, and a whole host of other metals are dissolved by NaOH
solutions.  Also note that Drano contains aluminum particles - that's
what makes it foam/burn when you pour it down the drain.

These days the EPA really doesn't like old hot tanks.  Therefore, most
shops use a citrus solution.  Simple Green is one such product.  A side
benefit is that you can clean aluminum (and your cam bearings) in such a
solution.

I've cleaned small parts (from an engine) in an ultrasonic cleaner using
a Draino solution.  I've also used Simple Green.  Neither would work too
well on thick globs of oil sludge and grease.  The Draino solution
required using rubber gloves.