Chevy Swap Questions

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Fri Jul 13 22:44:40 GMT 2001

> My local boneyard has a complete EFI from an 88 GMC for around
> $300.  I'm thinking of snapping it up for my (bone stock) '81 Z28.  I'd
> have to pay almost that much just for a carb rebuild...  I'm tired of 14
> MPG out of a 350 (and that's an Imperial gallon, to boot... about 20%
> larger than a US gallon)  Anyway, a couple of dumb questions:

$300 for a TBI?.
I hope that's Canadian dollars.  Other wise pass on it.

> 1.  Do I need the distributor out of this unit? (or can I simply swap the
7
> pin module into my existing HEI)

In my opinion, you'd do better with the small dissy, and use a decent
aftermarket coil.

> 2.  If the answer to (1) is yes, will this distributor fit without
modification
> into the older SBC block?

Yes.

> 3.  Will the TBI unit fit onto my stock spreadbore (Rochester) manifold?

No.

> I really can't use an adapter plate, since I have the Cowl Induction hood
> and can't raise the height of the air cleaner at all.  I can buy an
> aftermarket manifold cheep ($100), so this is not too much of an issue,
> but I could get on the road faster if its a bolt-on...

Why not just use a thin adapter, 1/8" steel works fine, and the TB I beleive
is shorter.

> 4.  What's the best starting point for the ECM program?

Reading Promgramming 101, snag a copy of Tunercat, and GMEPro and see which
you like most.  www.tunercat.com, and there is a demo of GMEPro at DIY
Incoming as I recall.

> 5.  Any other gotchas I should know about with a swap of this type?

Would be a good idea to get a EFI gas tank, if one exists for your car.
www.jagsthatrun.com has some good reading material about doing swaps.

> Thanx in advance.  You've probably answered most of these questions
> before, but until you get your searchable archives up, it's real hard to
> find anything on the website.

Excuses, excuses, it's worth reading all the archives, they'll answer
guestions you haven't thought of yet, and in no time you can be a guru (no
time as defined by the time space continuim)
Bruce