Chevy Swap Questions

Darrell N. darrelln at datalog.ab.ca
Sat Jul 14 00:46:12 GMT 2001

Bruce wrote:

> $300 for a TBI?.
> I hope that's Canadian dollars.  Other wise pass on it.

No, it was 450$ CDN.  But that's for the TB, ECM, wiring harness,
dissy, and all sensors.  And that was what he quoted over the phone,
hopefully I can grind 'em down a bit.  Another yard quoted me $75 for
just the ECM, and $125 for the wiring harness alone.  Still think I should
pass?

> In my opinion, you'd do better with the small dissy, and use a decent
> aftermarket coil.

My current HEI has an Accel Super Coil in it.  External coil is better?

> Why not just use a thin adapter, 1/8" steel works fine, and the TB I
> beleive is shorter.

I can get a relatively thin adapter plate (about 1/4") which should work,
or perhaps just carve out one of the thick heat insulating gaskets which
are also about 1/4" thick.  I assume the TBI is square bore, but what
size bores?  I'm going to go have a look at it tomorrow with tape
measure and caliper in hand.

> Would be a good idea to get a EFI gas tank, if one exists for your car.
> www.jagsthatrun.com has some good reading material about doing swaps.

I was hoping to just add an electric fuel pump, and use the carbon
canister vent line as a fuel return.

> Excuses, excuses, it's worth reading all the archives, they'll answer
> guestions you haven't thought of yet, and in no time you can be a guru (no
> time as defined by the time space continuim)

OK, OK, I get the picture. 8>}
darrell n
Calgary, Alberta, Canada