'749 in Fiero NOW: 5-speed manuals

Scary Shrubs z24man at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 16 18:16:08 GMT 2001

"Gonyou, Jeremy (.)" wrote:

> P.S. Another option is the trans found in Cutlass Calais 442 w/W41 perforance package.  Lower gearing and a LSD!

IIRC, the 442's transaxle used the same internals as the HM282s and its
successors found on the V6 Berettas and Cavaliers, so no extra strength
there.  However, assuming the tranny is from a 92+, then you have the
lower gearing:  3.94 FDR versus 3.61.  I think.

> From: sapearso at rockwellcollins.com [mailto:sapearso at rockwellcollins.com]
>
> I just bought one of these from a 2.8 Beretta, didn't know there was a
> stronger one... anyone have
> one of these? Putting it behind a S/C 3800, so need durability.

How about the HM283 used on the 5 speed versions of the 3.4L DOHC?  Rare
beasts.

--Barry
z24man at bellsouth.net
AIM: thez24man