What do these numbers mean?

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Jul 17 04:16:01 GMT 2001

Jens Larsen wrote:

> Oh, oh....
>
> The memcal is the PROM, right?
No, not really.  The eprom or prom is attached to the memcal.  The memcal is the
holder + prom + 2 other chips.

> I want a new PROM too.  The electric fan is running all the time (with engine
> running cold or hot).
The fan is not always controlled by the ecm.

> The temp sensor is fine.
> Also I have had lots of
> problems trying to hook up software to diagnose stuff, so I want to *totally*
> replace the computer and start fresh.
I understand why.  But you may want to find a good car to connect your
diagnostic software to so you know everything works.

> What do I need to tell my handy-dandy parts store so I get the whole piece?

You need to say "Parts store guy, please call the local GM dealer and order a
memcal to go into the rebuilt ecm you're about to sell me.  When you're ordering
the memcal, you'll need to tell them that I have a 1986 Firebird with a VIN F
LB9 engine and 5 speed transmission."  The GM parts guy will likely ask whether
or not you have A/C, to which you'll answer yes or no.  Then the GM parts guy
will proceed to to dig through his information, and after a wait that seems like
forever he'll say "I'm not showing anything for that car."  He may ask whether
or not you have Federal or California emissions, but it won't matter because
there is no calibration offered for a 1986 305 tpi w/ 5 speed transmission.

See?  You're already learning about your ecm and calibration, and you didn't
even have to spend a bunch of time making trips or phone calls to the parts
store and the dealership to do it.

So what is your current vehicle setup?  What trans?  What year engine?  If
you're guessing about any of this please say so.  What is the rear end ratio of
the car?  There are different calibrations available which may work.  There are
also some that may be better than others.  The GM dealer can easily get
overwhelmed when trying to look up a calibration without specific information.
If you can give that information over the list, you may be able to get a part
number to bring to the dealer instead.

Shannen