Distributor/Module Compatibility Question

Ken Kelly ken73 at ken73.homeip.net
Sun Jul 22 16:32:14 GMT 2001

Hey guys, I have a '73 Corvette with a *tach drive* distibutor. I've
replaced the points (long time ago) with the Mallory Unilite  "electric eye"
(optical) points replacement device. Eventually I'd like to fuel inject it
(TBI) and I'm wondering if I need to either:

A. Get a newer HEI (external coil) module and hook it up so I can retain the
cable driven tach inside, or

B. Get a computer-controlled HEI, stick a '75-'77 Corvette tach in and shut
the hell up.

The latter of course is the more difficult to do, as those tachs aren't easy
(or cheap for that matter) to come by. Sometimes I see them on Ebay, but
it's rare. There IS the option of a tach-cable HEI, but I don't want to
shell out over $500 for one. (I'd rather put that to use in other areas of
the car.)

Any ideas?

Ken