Distributor/Module Compatibility Question

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sun Jul 22 17:04:09 GMT 2001

Ken Kelly wrote:

> Hey guys, I have a '73 Corvette with a *tach drive* distibutor. I've
> replaced the points (long time ago) with the Mallory Unilite  "electric eye"
> (optical) points replacement device. Eventually I'd like to fuel inject it
> (TBI) and I'm wondering if I need to either:
>
> A. Get a newer HEI (external coil) module and hook it up so I can retain the
> cable driven tach inside, or
Prolly the easiest way.  You'll want to fix the mechanical and vacuum advance
mechanisms.

If you can find one, 67-69 427 w/ 3 2bbl carbs came with electronic ignition
from the factory.  A "regular" HEI module should work with the dizzy, as the
signal produced by the early style pickup seemed to be similar in bench
testing.  The dizzy was available as an option in other Vettes, and was sold as
a gm race part through dealers.

I don't expect that you'll find the dizzy anytime soon, but if you do happen
across one (lotsa guys removed 'em 'cause they couldn't understand the dang
things) you'll have a good way to use it.
Shannen

> B. Get a computer-controlled HEI, stick a '75-'77 Corvette tach in and shut
> the hell up.
Then you'll have to stare at mis-matched gauges.

> The latter of course is the more difficult to do, as those tachs aren't easy
> (or cheap for that matter) to come by. Sometimes I see them on Ebay, but
> it's rare.  You could search the net for places that specialize in stripping c3's.  Or contact companies that rebuild tachometers and see if someone has anything in stock.

> There IS the option of a tach-cable HEI, but I don't want to
> shell out over $500 for one. (I'd rather put that to use in other areas of
> the car.)

Another option is a Mallory or MSD made distributor rather than the cable drive
"converted" HEI.  I've seen a converted dizzy once, and it looked like something
that could be done at home with some patience.

Then again, you may be able to convert the points dizzy to an HEI by swapping
some parts around and doing a little creative fabrication.  There's a message
about doing this in the archives, maybe around this time last year? It was
fairly straightforward IIRC.
Shannen