New L88?

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Mon Jun 18 15:33:19 GMT 2001

> From: Gonyou, Jeremy (.) [mailto:jgonyou at ford.com]
> Subject: RE: New L88?
>

> So, I will continue to attack GM for using pushrods, because
> it shows that they are no longer the innovative company that
> they were in the past.  In a somewhat inderect way, GM
> represents the engineering prowess of our country.  The LS6
> says that we haven't learned a DAMN thing since Ed Cole first
> designed the small block.  So *that* is why I'm shamefaced
> when I admit to people that I drive a Pontiac with a pushrod
> motor.  I'm American, I recognize sound engineering when I
> see it, and I should know better.

GM doesn't really innovate anymore - I will certainly acknowledge that fact
(especially when I look at my fiance's Honda Accord, with it's drool-worthy
suspension setup, super-clean engine packaging, and of course the VTEC
system).

But, when it comes down to it, the C5 guys created a beautiful display of
engineering when they selected the motor for their project.  They put
emotions aside, looked at the requirements of the vehicle (packaging,
output, economy, emissions), and selected the best part that was available.
Pushrods or not, the LS1/6 is a very nice, high-tech engine.  I guess I just
don't see why it's such a big deal to have pushrods on this engine - they
keep the heads small, they don't hurt the revability of the engine, and with
only one cam there's considerable lower friction and noise.

Now, if you'd like me to defend GM's cancellation of the 3.5 L DOHC V6 while
still producing the pushrod 3.8 L V6, that's a different conversation all
together.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante