New L88?

Andrew McRory amacc at iron-bridge.net
Mon Jun 18 17:02:20 GMT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 toddburkard at pcmc.com wrote:

> Just so we all know GM went with the pushrod motor because they needed to
> fit it under the hood of the Vette. At least that is what I heard from some
> people I know that work for GM.
>
> Also I think it would be cool to see a overhead camed engine and in one of
> the latest HotRod magazine. I think it was, had a guy that built a over
> head conversion and gained a little power from it.
>
> Frankly I think it is hilarious also that as you put it GM uses 60's
> technology and still kicks the latest technologies A$$. Even where the
> other Companies are going to V-10's GM is still able to get it done with a
> V-8. It just goes to show you the Engineering they really do put into there
> engines not lack there of.
>
> Anyway just my $.02

All real combustion engine research was completed by 1930. Everything
since is just refinement of existing knowledge :-)  Granted overhead cams
are _sexy_ as is 4-valve (or 5-valve) cylinder heads but I personally
think the pushrod engine is hard to beat! Not to mention there are
refinements yet to be made.

Remeber the Ford 427 in 1966 LeMans... What hit Ferrari? Hah!

Bottom line: KISS.

Andrew in Florida....