stupid question

Mike Martone mmartone at pop800.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 18 15:44:47 GMT 2001

a 7805 reads from left to right vss, gnd, and output. The type of transistor
case design will determine the pinout, however, if you have a T0-39 package,
there is usually a tab that denotes the collector pin. If it's a triangular
pattern, the base is always the center pin as you will see an offset in
relative position. If it's TO-3, the case will conduct to the collector pin
(if it's PNP)which is why you need an isolation kit. The best thing to do is
look up the national semiconductor web site and perform a part search by
number, you'll find all the specs and complete data sheets there.

good luck