New L88?

ae2598 at wayne.edu ae2598 at wayne.edu
Mon Jun 18 16:55:50 GMT 2001

You know of course, there's two ways of looking at the OHV/DOHC
comparison.  You conclude that since GM didn't go with a quad-valve, DOHC
valvetrain, that their design must be inferior to the Ford 4.6L.

However, if any of the counter-arguments are true (more HP, smaller
package, lower BSFC, etc.) then I would have to think that GM did a GREAT
job in designing that motor, as they've managed to beat Ford on several
fronts, using traditional, proven technology!  All things equal, you're
always better off using a time-tested, proven design.  And then maybe we
should consider the total parts count, especially moving parts that wear.
Seems to me that a quad-valve DOHC motor would have more parts to
potentially fail, no?  And then we could delve into the design and
manufacturing costs of the two motors..

Anyway, not to add fuel to a flame
war, but calling GM an embarrasment to the entire nation is a bit harsh,
don't you think?  (Maybe you're hoping the Ford IS guys will read your
e-mail and win you some brownie points?)