DIY EFI on 400ci smallblock?

Nick McAlpin nmcalpin at quiknet.com
Tue Jun 19 00:12:59 GMT 2001

List,

I have been trying to grasp DIY EFI by reverse engineering the code
my P4 ECM out of an 88 4cyl fiero, and so far it has been quite
frustrating/unbeneficial.  I understand the assembly code just fine,
but not the ability to truely reverse engineer it and understand what
it's actually doing - it's difficult to recognize the purpose of most of
the subroutines and code.  I've kind of given up on this project for
now.

That doesn't mean i'm out of projects, yet.  :)  I am in a buildup
process of a 400ci smallblock chevy bound for a 71 camaro, and
i'm wondering about the prospects of converting it to a '747 TBI
setup.  I'm thinking a project like this should be a LOT easier, given
the large amount of knowledge and work already gone into the '747
ecm, as opposed to some 4cyl ECM nobody cares about!  :)

Question is, how much motor can the 747 ECM be made to deal
with?  Here's what I've got, if anyone with some knowledge of what
the 747 can and cannot do (or good/bad uses of it) could let me
know if i'm barking up the right or wrong tree, would be greatly
appreciated!!

10:1 400ci smallblock chevy w/ 5.7" rods

GM's 'fast burn' alum heads (the 210cc intake runner heads) in as-
cast configuration with stock valves (2.00/1.55) with valvesprings
appropriate for my cam choice

exhaust will be headers with 1 3/4" primaries, full length tubes, to a
2.5" dual exhaust with full tailpipes and crossover pipe

performer RPM air gap for the vortec head bolt pattern

cam is mech. roller, 232/240 @ 0.050", 0.505"/0.523" net lift, 112
degrees lobe sep angle

and all the necessary high quality fasteners, machine work,
attention to detail and clearances, etc. to make it a reliable
street/strip motor...  oh yeah, the car is a manual tranny car, 4spd
for now, oneday to be a 5spd or 6spd but definately always a
manual.

Basically, it's a ZZ430 crate motor with 50 more cubic inches, a bit
better intake, and a bit bigger cam.  If the ZZ430 was capable of
430HP 	out of 350ci, I reasonably anticipate an honest 450HP if not
a bit more out of this 400.

So, anyhow.  Is this a good candidate for a '747 TBI setup?  Can a
'747 run a 4bbl TBI?  Can the '747 deal with a moderate cam that
may not idle like a swiss timepiece?

Any comments greatly appreciated!!!!

nick