GM ignition module spex (RR)

Darrell N. darrelln at datalog.ab.ca
Thu Jun 21 01:25:52 GMT 2001

> I don't have the specs that you are asking about. However, can always
> use a currently available ECM for ignition control:
>
> http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/ecm_info/1227747/projects/747_ignition
>
> BobR.

Ya know, this sounds like a plan.  I never thought of doing it this way
before, but after reading through the above link and a few others, it
seems like a good idea, especially since I was thinking of adding a TBI
unit later anyway...  Sure save me writing a sh*tload of assembler code
and developing all the necessary hardware.

I have a few questions, though:

1. How do you fake out the ECM for the sensors that are not used, ie
TPS, O2, etc?  Does the ECM detect stuff like open injectors, etc?
How do you bypass the EGR stuff?  I would think that if you just left
them disconnected, you'd get error codes and maybe even cause the
ECM to go into limp dick mode...  You didn't mention this in your
explanations.

2.  Where can I get a ALDL-RS232 link adapter (or schematics thereof)
to monitor the system?  How about software?  I assume you program
the eprom with any standard programmer?

darrell n
Calgary, Alberta, Canada