Turbo Gran Prix 5 speed chips

Dave Zug. dzug at delanet.com
Fri Jun 22 19:23:13 GMT 2001

I imagine they do have a PN since it was actually produced. McLaren did it
and may have held on to the 5 speed chip.... but you figger GM HAS to have
the ability to get one for customers.  the 5 speed models were all indy pace
cars. one was used in "days of thunder". one went to an exec's collection
(even though supposedly this is not allowed or something) and thats how this
one chap got ahold of it... the guy died and the wife sold it.. for $15k!  I
do not know if this is for real but the guy emailed me personally when he
got it.  earler I had info that only 2 pace cars were made but I think the
15 number is more accurate.

The factory manual trans option for the pace cars was a $25,000 option
(again, direct Mclaren source to ME). they were custom made in germany, one
of a kind... later the basis for manual trans's on other 6-cyl GM cars and
is alot cheaper now. Olds 442's and later 5 speed regals I think have the
trans, it may be the most common thing now but the "383" gearing is what to
look for. Fieros???.  The turbo GP itself was $26k (in 1989!!), you can pick
one up for $3000 today... the leather seats option cost more than that. neet
car altogether but the auto-trans will break if you hop the car up. McLaren
broke alot and had to de-tune the car. Theres alot of room to go on the
chip.

I know all this cause I hacked the ECM for about 2 years and I ran the
message board for the car on my website .. the only one on the net from 96
to about 99... then I gave it away, and had to part with the car as well
after I mistreated it one too many times. I now have thirdgen camaros and
the parts are much cheaper and easier to find ;-)

my website still has the core info from the old days, but I took the BB
archives off. There is a link to the "new" site locations (2) run by others.
www.delanet.com/~tgp
you have to scroll down the GP page and find the links to the other sites.

a few are up on the computer stuff, and some info from over there I'm told
you should take with the source in mind. lotsa folks 'sure' they know what
they are talking about but its not DIY_EFI over there... although at least
one member over there is on GM_ECM list... I have not seen much here from
him.