fuel pump

Mike Dillon mdill at lsil.com
Sat Jun 23 07:59:54 GMT 2001

External pumps, do have their limitations. By putting the pump low and close to
the tank the problem is not eliminated but it is less likely. In the case where
you are under hard acceleration for a long time on a low tank, there is a good
chance that the external hi pressure pump will try and suck air with a stock
tank. On most
go fast cars this is probably not a real problem, but more likely to happen with
a 4X4 on a long hill climb. One way to get a round the problem for less than
a $500 tank, is to use a standard low pressure electric pump to fill a small
tall skinny
tank and feed the external high pressure pump from the bottom of the small tank.
The volume of the small tank needs to be large enough to feed the engine for the
longest expected time the car/truck will be rapidly accelerating or for the time
it
takes to climb longest hill you expect to run into. The small tank needs a
return mounted close to
the top of it to allow air/vapor to return back to the main tank, and the TBI
return would
also need to be plumbed in to it.
 I would guess that 90% + of the people would never encounter a problem omitting
the small tank. On a 4X4 it would be much more likely to happen in a place where
having the engine die could endanger your life. On a go fast car you just lose
some time.

Mike D.