86 LG4 carb to 87 TPI swap, tips needed.

Manuel Desantos zepher at sybercom.net
Fri Jun 1 09:11:53 GMT 2001

Hey everyone.
I am new to the list.  I was reading some of the messages for the past few
days and it seems that  a lot, if not all, know quite a bit about EFI.
I am new to the EFI world.  I've owned 2 '94 Sunbirds, one with the
4cylinder and one with the 3.1 V6.  I never tried any engine mods
to those cars since I wasn't mechanically inclined at the time, I just
drove those cars.
In January of 2000 I purchased an '86 Trans Am.  When I went looking
for my Trans Am, all I wanted was a V8 and a 5 speed.  I didn't know
that there were different kinds of V8's to choose from when I bought mine.
I though a V8 was a V8 and all were the same.
About 3 months after I bought the car and got the minor mechanical problems
fixed at a local shop I started looking on the internet for websites that
dealt
with the 82-92 F-Body's.  I found thirdgen.org.  After reading a lot of posts
and asking some questions  I learned quite a bit about the car that I had
bought.
The most disappointing thing I found out was that my car had the LG4 carbed
motor which only had about 145-155hp.
4 months later I put on an Edelbrock 1406 carb and 7101 Dual Plane intake
(which I
put on myself, and to my surprise started up and ran after I got it put
back together)
and took the car to the Virginia Motor Sports Park in Dinwiddie, VA.
I ran a 14.94 @ 91.67 with my LG4 Trans Am with 133K miles on the odometer.
Well, about a month ago I decided I wanted to go with a TPI system instead of
a carburetor.
I am in the middle of the swap as I type this and have a few questions to ask.
I took off my old heads and put on the 87 305 heads with the centerbolt valve
covers.  I took the sensors that were on my old heads and put them on the
87 heads.

Will the sensors from the 86 LG4  with the Computer controlled Quadrajet carb
work with my TPI system?

Where should I look to get a prom burner or where can I get a prom
reprogrammed and
what does reprogramming normally cost?

I am supposed to ask for an 89 ARAP program and have the EGR flag turned
off and
Highway Mode enabled.  Also, with this program I don't need to use the 9th
injector.

I have the 87 computer in the car now and my 86 Computer sitting on the table.
Are the 2 proms the same type and size?  I'd like to be able to burn the new
program on the 86 prom since I don't plan on using that chip or computer for
anything, but would like to salvage the prom if it is compatible.

Thanks,

P.S.  Sorry for the very long post, I am just very excited about completing
this swap
and would like to know what to look out for.  Also, the TPI is not on the
motor yet,
I am waiting on an oil pressure switch elbow fitting, the one that I have
is too tall and
mounts to the top of the block underneath and behind the intake.  My
friends 86 TPI Camaro
has the fitting on the back of the block between the firewall and the motor.

Thanks again.

Manuel Desantos
zepher at sybercom.net
<http://www.leannrimes.cz28.com/>WS6 Trans Am.