LT1 +dizzy??

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Mar 9 12:33:30 GMT 2001

With all the talk about adapting LT1 engines to use with non-opti spark systems, I
missed the fact that the components are quite possibly available from GM.

In 1996, the LT1 and LT4 engines were converted to use OBDII emissions systems.  As
part of the new system, GM installed a 4 notch reluctor type wheel on the crank and
a corresponding sensor in the front cover.  The wheel slides on the front of the
crank and gets sandwiched between the balancer and the timing gear.  The timing
cover is a bolt on for the earlier models.

I haven't researched whether the timing gear or the hub (these engines do not have
a traditional chevy balancer) are the same as earlier models.  It's possible that
the 4 notch wheel is the same part as used on Vortec 8cyl smallblock engines, and
the sensor may also be a common part.

Just wanted to put the info in the list domain while I was thinking about it.

Shannen