triggering an HEI module

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Fri Mar 9 05:47:48 GMT 2001

The signal into an HEI module is far from a sine wave. It
looks like a slowly rising voltage which rises faster and
faster as the pole pieces come together.  Just as the poles
pass peak, the voltage very, very  quickly reverses polarity
to about the same but opposite voltage.  Then it decreases
like a mirror of the first part.  Then it crosses zero and starts
climbing again for the next pole alignment

The spark is triggered by that very rapid voltage reversal at
the peak pole alignment.  The amplitude varies a lot with
speed, but the point of reversal is consistant.  Bruce Roe