Possibly OT, ??s about a GM feedback Q-jet

Robert W. Hughes rwhughe at ev1.net
Fri Mar 9 04:59:08 GMT 2001

> The first thing that I find odd is the HEI distributor.  It has advance
> weights and a vacuum can.. In fact, the only way in which it differs from
> the "standard" HEI is the use of a 5-pin module, and an extra harness
> hanging out the back.  The pickup coil apparently feeds a signal to the
> ECM as well as the module.. probably a timing reference signal.  This
> harness has been butchered by previous repair attempts, and probably isn't
> giving much data to the ECM anyway.
>
> The next thing that's not exactly right (IMHO) is the carb itself.  It has
> a M/C solenoid, but no TPS or IAC.  Every description I read about the C3
> Q-jets shows at least the M/C and TPS, and usually an idle air control,
> too.
>
> The ECM seems a bit un-sophisticated.. It is in a very small package, and
> has a single connector with only 7 wires connected!  No ALDL that I could
> find, and no provisions for a PROM.  The service number is 16042121.

This may be one of the early ESC engines. I worked on an 85 Astro with
the 4.3 V6, had the odd ignition module, a knock sensor, and a small
controller box. Also had an ALDL connector, but no data wires. The
quadrajet had two wires going to a strain relief on the top like a CCC
carburetor but there were no connections inside the carb and it had a
normal piston/metering rod set-up. This was a very early Astro, VIN
serial was 10.
--
Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering