Possibly OT, ??s about a GM feedback Q-jet

ae2598 at wayne.edu ae2598 at wayne.edu
Sat Mar 10 02:53:34 GMT 2001

The colors are green, white, black, and brown.  Brown is grounded to the
dist. housing.  white passes through to the middle pin of the three on the
side of the module.  As is is right now, the green and black (which go to
the two outer module pins) are jumpered.  I imagine the ECM must
internally close this circuit when it sees no knock signal, and open it
(or possibly it gives a linear response?) when knock is detected.  This
would, at least, explain why we'd jumper those pins to bypass the ECM! As
for the white wire that is presently still connected, is it OK for me to
clip it?  I can't surmise what this wire serves, other than possibly to
give a speed reference signal to the ECM.  The white and either the black
or green (can't remember which offhand) are "piggybacked" into the pickup
coil wires, BTW.

Now as for the carb, I have a non-ECM Qjet that I'm going to throw on for
comparison purposes.  I think the drivability problem we're having is from
excessive richness, and maybe this is just a symptom of a carb in need of
a rebuild.

thanks,
kevin