motor go boom

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Thu Mar 15 01:35:23 GMT 2001

     If you decide to tear down, Have a competent engine machinist check the
     big end bores of any rods that didn't turn a bearing, If any of them
are out of
     round on a 30 - 45 d angle from vertical , your engine was detonating.
     Rod Big end size needs to be 2.2250 and Round with up to . 0005 to .001
     larger directly on the parting lines, being acceptable. This is the
first place
     to look for combustion related damage to the bottom end. Loose Main caps
     and shine marks  in the registers are another indication of detonation
and or
     poor dynamic balance.
         Time for the detective work to begin. Good Luck .
     Len