Vortec VCM & EVAP

washburn lpwcruzr at sysmatrix.net
Fri Mar 16 15:33:30 GMT 2001

I'm wondering if someone can clue me in on some of the functions of the fuel
pressure sensor in the new (96 and up) Vortec trucks? I'm looking at using a
98 5.7L in an older project vehicle. There is a company that "specializes"
in doing these conversions that will reprogram the VCM for these older cars.
They remove the anti-theft, put the new tire and gear ratio in, and remove
the fuel pressure and level sensor from the programming. From reading the 98
G-van and 99 C/K truck manuals the impression that I get it is that the fuel
pressure sensor and fuel level sensors are only used for the VCM's EVAP
diagnostic tests. But I want to make sure that the pressure sensor is not
used for the actual EVAP purging in any way. Can anyone shed some light on
this? Is the pressure sensor really just used for the diagnostic test or the
actual purging?

Paul Washburn
lpwcruzr at sysmatrix.net