high map, low rpm knock

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Fri Mar 23 02:50:04 GMT 2001

No to answer for Bob, but in a light car loose converter it's easy to be in
the ATDC numbers.   Can make for an incredible crappy Limp Home mode, but
excellent drivibility (<big silly grin>).    Can also kill alot of wheel
spin so the car is acclerating rather then spinning the tires.

Also, note that he wound up taking out some timing before it was reported.
At below stall speed of the converter the engine can flash at an amazing
accleration rate, if you look at some drag strip stuff you can see that in
like the first 60' at 1.9x your already at 30+MPH or have gone from idle to
5,500 rpm.   2,000 rpm per sec., is average but remember a  fair bit of that
is when the converter is flashing and engine rpm are changing even faster
then that.

Just a FWIW, you might (and others) look at what you do when you **smooth**
out the timing tables so they are more linear.   Alot, of the dips and
vallies are for recovering RPM after a  shift as the converter again
flashes..

Flashing being the rpm the cars reaches before moving, as opposed to stall
speed.   It also is what allows a car to recover from a shift and be able to
begin acclerating again.   To little stall with a linear / pretty table and
you might really be brutally detonated a motor at gear changes, maybe even
more then the K/S can track.   Again we get to plug cuts and starting
conservative and working up from there (all the while using notes)......

The above is my *current theory* about what is going on.   and subject too
change, but explains some recent events.
Bruce

> bob, how much timing did you take out and how much fuel did you have to
add
> over stock.  at like 85 kpa and 1300 rpm, i had to add like 30% more fuel
> remove knock?
>
> Thanks for listening to my electroyappin!
> Ryan Hampl - a K-State Grad!  kasaryan at aol.com
> 139 Hoover Ct.                     Controls Engineer
> Salina, KS  67401                  97 B12 / 93 chevy truck EFI 383
> phone  (785) 825 5831
> I'M ALWAYS FIRST TO THE GROCERY STORE!
> http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan/myhomepage/hotspot.html
> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan/myhomepage/hotspot.html">Ryan