high map, low rpm knock

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Fri Mar 23 07:17:22 GMT 2001

Knock onset was about 2000-2200 rpm, when going to WOT at 55mph, the trans
would kick from OD (1400rpm) to D (2000 rpm) and start detonation.  Pulled
about 4-6deg @ 80+ kpa there and added PE fuel from 3 to almost 12.  Still
sometimes detonated (less) and was boggy from 2k to about 3k when the cam
starts coming on.

Finally pulled 4-5 degrees out from 1600-2000 @ 80+ kpa and problem pretty
much has disappeared, bonus the 2k range is no longer boggy.  Adds to my
theory the knock was starting EARLIER than being reported on the scan tool.
 A little extra pump shot on large transitions (40 and 50kpa) helped too.
 Finding aluminum on the plugs wasn't very comforting, while 650 miles from
home.

I really haven't had time to refine this, a nasty storm is soaking
everything.  There's no "stock" for me - AUJP is the base, but I'm running
a 403 Olds with a TH700R4 and 2.78 gear in a 3600lb car.   VERY easy to
heavily load the motor down.

Adding fuel alone won't kill all knock, too much fuel and you can imitate a
diesel.

-> Bob Valentine
-> bob at tecmark.com

At 08:45 PM 3/22/2001 EST, you wrote:
>bob, how much timing did you take out and how much fuel did you have to add
>over stock.  at like 85 kpa and 1300 rpm, i had to add like 30% more fuel to
>remove knock?
>
>Thanks for listening to my electroyappin!
>Ryan Hampl - a K-State Grad!  kasaryan at aol.com
>139 Hoover Ct.                     Controls Engineer
>Salina, KS  67401                  97 B12 / 93 chevy truck EFI 383
>phone  (785) 825 5831
>I'M ALWAYS FIRST TO THE GROCERY STORE!
>http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan/myhomepage/hotspot.html
><A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan/myhomepage/hotspot.html">Ryan