allredy have an eeprom programer and dont know it? (crazy idea maybe :)

ae2598 at wayne.edu ae2598 at wayne.edu
Wed Mar 28 04:06:25 GMT 2001

Hot-swapping chips on a running motherboard, in and of itself, sounds a
bit reckless to me.  However if you actually got it to work, who am I to
argue?

The problem with programming EEPROMs for ECM use would be that, first, I
wouldn't think modern motherboards would be able to get by with 27256's
anymore (I know earlier ones did though) and second, how would you change
the cached BIOS code to a usable BIN file without crashing the board?

Maybe I'm just not understanding how the process works.. Is the BIOS
re-written at a hardware level?  That is, would the CPU not have to be
able to execute the BIOS routines in order for the chip-writing to take
place?