Hiway747 works!(A little EFI content)

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Fri May 4 01:48:02 GMT 2001

In a message dated 05/03/2001 6:59:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us writes:

<< According to the literature the decrease in mileage with high AFRs is
 due to lean misfire, which requires a higher throttle setting and
 eventually more fuel to replace what isn't burned.  You should be able
 to tell if you're getting misfire by watching the O2 sensor for rich
 spikes >>

Thanks Dave,

All I saw on the scantool display was a consatnt zero on my O2 volts. But
that was probablydue to the slow refresh rate of the scantool. I was trying
to feel the lean misfires with the seat of my pants method, but I never did.
I did feel a slight power loss when hiway mode kicked in because the truck
slowed a bit and I had to noticably press the gas some more, however slight.
I took a trip about 70 miles at 75-80 MPH and on the way out I got 13.9 MPG
with a normal EPROM and on the way back I got 12.6 with a hiway mode enabled
chip with the AFR at 18 at low map and the AFR dropping to 16 at high map.
NExt I will try more chips at a lower AFR and probably the same timing. Since
I think the max timing limit is 41 degrees anyway, I will keep it at 10 adder
and see what happens.

Funny thing is, I just moved to 2 miles from work from 35, so now I guess all
my testing of hiway mode just BENEFItS tHE LISt since two miles doesn't give
the engine time to warm up and run over 30 miles in cloded loop.

<Non EFI content.> Anyone know why my capital "t" and capital "y" have
stopped working on my keyboard? Other caps work and the little t and y work
so its not the keys is it? Hey I've got some little guys giving me hell now
too.  JW