memcals

Robert W. Hughes rwhughe at ev1.net
Sat May 5 23:27:39 GMT 2001

> I have a box full of knock sensors.  Would anyone care to dream up a
> simple method of telling the tuned frequency and sensitivity of each
> sensor?  A swinging weight and one of those handheld wondermeters?  I
> could probably borrow one long enough to do some testing.

You might try connecting sensors to the sound card in your computer and
recording a gentle tap at 44kc. Then run this record through one of the
FFT programs. If the sensor is tuned you will see a prominent peak but
if it is wideband you will just get a noisy flat line. The only one I
have tested was for an 86 Buick GN and it was flat, wideband. When
installed on a 2.8L V6 it showed a small signal down around 50-100 hz at
idle which was the actual engine running and a prominent about 1kc wide
hump centered at about 5600hz which was the combustion chamber signal.
Presumably this part of the signal would be much larger for a detonation
event. Incidentally, when doing the tap test, gentle is important. The
sensor can generate a surprisingly high voltage if you really hammer it.
--
Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering
rwhughe at ev1.net